Saturday, October 25, 2008

what we've been up to

Seems like we have lived one week in one day. Every have a day like that? This morning seems like a life time ago.
This morning we went to a workshop put on my Imagine (our agency). It was on "Lifebooks". I learned lots. Lifebooks are a way to share our child's story with them - from birth until they come to live with us. You can do it in a form of a scrap book but its not exactly the same as a baby book. Have I confused you yet? We want to be able to provide good answers to the many questions our child will have about its birth parents, country and how all of it works. This is a pro-active approach to answering those questions. Gave us lots to think about. Now, I am not the scrapbooking type - so I am not sure exactly how it will all turn out but I am looking forward to doing it.
Then from there, we headed to the funeral for my former boss. Marv Frey was CEO of Ten Thousand Villages until brain cancer forced him to step down over a year ago last fall. If I learned anything from Marv it would be to finish well. He was such a Godly man and had an amazing faith. Right down till the end he had total Peace. He was a great boss too - not afraid to get his hands dirty. We miss him but know that a perfect eternal life can't come close to this earthly one.
In between, we ended up being early for the funeral and did some crib shopping. TOO MUCH FUN. Wow - its starting to feel real. Found some really cool stuff.
Then I came home to check out some stuff on the web and found more exciting news about referrals. This week there have been 4 referral announcements including one set of twins. Such an exciting week in the adoption world. What a life changing week for those 4 families!! And to be selfish - it makes our referral all that faster. As babies move out of the 'transition house' there is then room for new babies to come in and so on. Now we all know my job is in accounting - but i bet you didn't think i would have my own referral spreadsheet. its all colour coded and everything. I have been trying to keep up on who gets a referral and who's file makes it to Ethiopia. My limited research has 26 people ahead of us - so lets make that 46 because there are probably lots of people out there that I don't know about. The fact is that we are moving up the line. It is so cool to see progress being made. Lots of the new referrals are little babies - 3 months old. Oh how I hope and pray for a young one like that.
So, it's been one week in one day. Its 6:30 and Mike has fallen asleep on the couch and i feel like i could soon follow. Tomorrow we head to London for an open house to celebrate our new nephew AJ. And - my best friend/cousin is home from Calgary so you never know what will happen this week. I am also planning to take a few days off to do some painting next week. Could be some new reno pictures soon!! Lots going on.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like a totally busy day. I've been thinking of taking an Imagine course; do you recommend it? Also, nice to hear that you're a spreadsheeter like me. I felt like a big nerd when I confessed it on my blog yesterday.
I also wanted to let you know about a sweet book for beginner scrappers. I've been into it for years, and just discovered and fell in love with this book. It is put out by the company "Close to my Heart" which is a direct sales company like tupperware. My sister is a consultant and could tell you more about the books. There are 3 and depending on your interests and comfort with cutting pictures down in size she could advise you on a good pick. Or if you know a demonstrator they could help you out. It's sweet. Each page has a layout (with a photo of a sample that follows it) and shows you what kind of paper to use (solid cardstock or patterned/ textured paper), and how to cut it so there is the least amount of waste. Anyway, I can find out the names if you like, or you can contact her (or another demonstrator). Anyway, here's her email: melanieharmsma@hotmail.com Tell her you quasi-know me (Melissa).
Okay! Sleep well! Hope that didn't sound too much like a sales pitch. I just know I love it.

Barb said...

I loved crib shopping! It made it sooooo real!!

Barb

The Warren Family said...

I have a chart I keep track of referrals in as well. I am glad to find out I am not the only one doing that (-: