Monday, August 15, 2011

a smile to my face **plus edit

You have heard me say this before - i am sick of waiting. I am sick of being patient. I am sick of smiling and saying 'he will be home soon'. So, if you don't feel like listening to me complain, that is fine - you can move along.

All of this time (the past 3+ years) - the light at the end of the tunnel was getting a referral. That is the big ticket item. That is the day you hope and pray for and dream about. The day that you learn who your child is. Is it a boy or girl? How old? and seeing that picture of your child... is a priceless moment in life. The ultimate is the day you meet and bring your baby home - but the big deal is the referral.

Friends had told me that the wait AFTER the referral was the worst. I thought - how could that be? The guessing game is done, you know who your child is and you have a rough estimate of when this ordeal will be over and you can begin your life as a family of 3. I thought to myself "how can it be worse than this"? But guess what, they were right. If you are still waiting for your referral - please know - its not all sunshine and roses. Sorry, maybe it will be different for you. I really hope so. You just need to be prepared. Its kind of like post-referral-depression or something.

The referral is a definite high. Its what you have been dreaming of and waiting for. I printed a million copies of those grainy photos and put them EVERY WHERE. I can not take too many steps at home or at work without seeing Bedi's face. and its torture. I made a comment on the chat group that it might be time to take some of the photos down so it didn't hurt so much - but i just couldn't do it. How can i put his sweet face away?

Here are the facts that my head knows: Bedi is being cared for at a very good orphanage. I have heard first hand from multiple sources that this is true. I know that adding 2 or 3 months to a 3 1/2 year process is really not that big of a deal. I know that we have a child who is (almost) ours and we will have the rest of our lives to be together. I know he is being loved. I also know that Bedi has and will suffer more than we can imagine. He has lost his birth parents, will loose his birth country, his language, his culture, his heritage. We will do what we can to make up for that. And so, my impatience and 'suffering' is nothing compared to that. My head knows that God's timing is perfect - His plan is perfect. We are in His hands. October is not far away (when the courts open again and hopefully will find out when we go for our first visit).

Here is what my heart knows: I am not the one caring for Bedi. He is getting bigger, growing and changing - he probably looks nothing like the 2 little photos that i stare at all day long. We don't know when we will travel. This court closure thing sucks. I feel like my faith is very small right now and that i am complaining and whining alot. Right now, if you ask me, I will tell you and complain and give the 'real' answer.

And so, you might ask - why the title. Doesn't seem like you are smiling much. While i am feeling pretty crappy about this whole thing, I have been given a little nugget to hold on to. A bit of faith that i can grasp.

There happens to be a couple in a small town about 15 minutes from where we live. They are adopting as well. I have always known 'about them', heard about them from different people - but never met them or made contact. Until last week. Their little girl is just weeks older than our Bedi and came from the same city. As i type they are living together in the orphanage. They are buddies. D's mom emailed me and let me know that she has SEEN our precious Bedi. She has talked to him, tickled him and made him smile and laugh. She said he thought he looked healthy and like he was a good weight. Music to my ears. What an amazing gift this has been. Its making it just a bit easier. And so God provides just a little something, a little bit of hope just when i need it.

It's a nugget, a tiny glimpse of our son. I am still complaining and feeling like crap. But its just a little something to take the edge off.

EDIT:
to add to the story of our new friends and their visit with Bedi - i have now found out that they do not in fact live 15 minutes away in another town - but actually 5 minutes away - just down the street in our own little town!!! Our kids would likely go to the same school!!! How cool is that? Looking forward to meeting you E!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

know exactly how you feel and nothing really makes it any better until you get on that plane!! so glad you have a new nugget to hold on to as you wait - i can't even imagine - 2 months seemed forever when we waited for m - the grainy photos (been there!) help and hurt, but in the end you will make i through. in the meantime just keep as busy as you can possibly keep and try not to count the days to October!!

thinking of you guys lots,
Janice

Hopeful Mommy (and Daddy) said...

This is the WORST part of the wait. After seeing your child's face and being told you can not be with them yet. TORTURE! You are not alone. Glad I could take a little of the edge off!
D's mom

Angela Sandau said...

Brenda, the process and the feelings at each stage are different for everyone. For me, it was easier after the referral but once we passed court it started to get more difficult again. Just be kind to yourself in the upcoming months and don't beat yourself up for your feelings. I'm so glad you were able to get some news about Bedi. Once we passed court we also got a little bit of news about Addis and it meant the world to me so I know how much the news about Bedi means to you. Just know that I am thinking of you and praying so hard each day that Bedi comes home soon and you can begin your journey as three. I'm also here to listen anytime you need it.

Karen said...

May God continue to provide you with those precious nuggets that can sustain you until you can nuzzle your sweet boy and hear his giggles for yourselves.

Sharla said...

I'm so glad that you got a tiny little glimpse of hope and the light at the end of the tunnel. The wait is so hard. I know everyone says that it is worth it in the end but that doesn't help when you're in it, but I will say it anyway. It is so worth it in the end! Hang in there.

Janice said...

Having someone give you even the tiniest little bit of info. on your child is HUGE. I'm happy you got some news about your boys. Reading your post brought back memories of the tough wait. I hope you have him in your arms sooner than expected.
Janice