Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fair Trade Day

In all my business I totally missed Fair Trade Day. It was May 8th. Well, better late than never.
I work at Ten Thousand Villages. I have worked there for almost 10 years now. I love the mission of Fair Trade and the relationships we have made with folks all over the world. From the web site: Often referred to as 'Fair Trade,' our philosophy of helping to build a sustainable future is based on the principle that trade should have a conscience. Through Fair Trade artisans receive the respect, dignity and hope that comes from working hard and earning fair value for their work. Check out Villages at - www.tenthousandvillages.ca

Unfortunately we don't sell any crafts from Ethiopia. We do however sell Coffee from Ethiopia. It is produced by a Fair Trade company called Level Ground Trading. Their website is www.levelground.com. You can buy their coffee in our stores or online. Its great stuff.

I have found another Canadian Fair Trade website that does offer products from Ethiopia. They are called Nationwares and have some beautiful silk scarves and some other jewellery. Give them a look at: http://www.nationwares.com/hello.html

All three of these sites give all the info on Fair Trade that you could ever need - much better than I can. The coffee and chocolate we sell is AMAZING. I am so sold on the 'Divine' Chocolate - it has me so addicted :) We also have some pretty great jewellery - take a look. And kids books - "My Granny Went to Market" is highly recommended as well as lots of different Putumayo titles. Next time you are shopping for that perfect little something for your home, or someones birthday, or that gift for a teacher - or some great coffee beans - try Fair Trade.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I love roaming around Ten Thousand Villages- there are always such neat things. Thanks for sharing the other link. I will have to check out what kind of Ethiopian items they have. That is one thing I regret from my trip to bring Phoebe home- that I didn't do more shopping!

CinnamonOpus said...

Great links and information, thanks so much for posting them. I've been looking for good places to shop for fair trade goods, and I'm going to have fun looking through all the cool stuff on the sites!

Derrick, Alysia, and Levi said...

Hi Brenda!
Thanks for the comment on my blog to keep following. I just have a question about the email address you left me. You have it ending in just .c IS that correct? Or should it be .com, or .ca?
Just want to make sure it will work when I send out the invites!
Thanks!
Alysia