Tuesday, June 23, 2009

big hair days

well - today is the day we have been hoping and dreaming for - no not a referral silly - its hot. all winter we dream and imagine what it will be like again when we don't need to wear a gazillion layers just to stay ahead of the big chill.
well, today its hot. my hair is 3 times its usual self - why did i bother to try straightening it??!! I love summer - don't get me wrong - but the humidity is what gets me. We live in an old house and it manages to stay pretty cool - with blinds drawn and ceiling fans at top speed. We are lucky enough to have a window AC unit in our bedroom. Ok - so its summer - get over it.
I am also counting down the days till my first week of vacation. Next week is vacation week #1. At the end of the week, my best gal-pal and i are heading to Collingwood to a ski resort for a few days away. We got in on a package deal that includes a mani/pedi so that is all good. We will hit the beach, some shops and just enjoy some good old R&R. Oh, i can't wait. Ever just know that you really need a vacation - well i was at that point about 2 months ago so it will be so good to get away. This does leave Mike home alone for a few days. I am sure he will be blogging - always seems to sneak a post in when i am not around.
Had a good weekend. We saw the Watoto Children's choir on Saturday night. They are orphaned kids from Uganda. Its a really cool organization that sets up a foster type system where kids live in families with a house mother. Its a really great family model. its something to sit there and hear a 10 year old kid talk about his parents death and the fact that he didn't have food to eat or know what to do. Heartbreaking. The presentation was really well done and boy can those kids sing and dance!! It was great. I think it would be a good org to support! We aren't supporting any work yet in Ethiopia and i think its time to do some investigation and see where we might be able to sponsor some kids who won't get adopted.

5 comments:

Karen said...

The vacation sounds like it will be such fun! I hope you have a fabulous time.

And I hear you re: hair in the heat and humidity. While we were visiting in B.C I wished I had packed a ball cap as I had a bad hair day everyday- only mine doesn't go curly. Nope. Straight as straight can be. Maybe droopy or stringy would be a more apt description for what happened...it nearly made me want short hair again.

shannon said...

HI Brenda,
I was so excited to hear you saw the choir, I saw them June 14th in Montreal, I was trilled with the show to say the least. I cried and danced.
I was in the front row with my mom her best friend, my sister my best friend and best of all a new friend a woman I met this month she is Ethiopian and I got to hold and dance with her 20 month old daughter. I was also able to hear her talk to the baby in Amheric as she does not know english yet. SO what a night it was I was so happy to be sitting a hearing what our babies mothers tongue sounds like. I was walking around the church at one point with the baby in my arms 3 of the youngest boys stopped me as they wanted to talk to the baby, they had all kinds of questions, " how old is she" " what words can she say " etc. When I explained that she was from Ethiopia there faces lit up and one said " OH you adopted her , with a huge smile on his face.
I was able to imagine the future at that moment.
I have also had the music living in my mind since we left the concert.
So excited to know you saw the same show, I am glad you enjoyed it.
Have a great Holiday
Shannon
ps I love the picture for month # 8 !
Cant wait till we make it to # 9, and I get to wait to see photo # 9.

Melissa said...

I wanted a picture to go along with the title... c'mon!

The Mannings said...

Melissa - you will never see that picture - sorry for you. just imagine frizz - not so hard to do.
Karen - i hear ya - mine doesn't go limp but just sticks up everywhere and takes on a life of its own - no point in trying to do something with it!!
Shannon - i loved the choir and was also close to tears through the whole thing. The song 'I am not forgotten' was so powerful - 'i am not forgotten - God knows my name' such a powerful statement!

Kendra said...

A vacation is a fabulous idea! I have never been to collingwood other than to ski but I keep hearing it is nice in the summer.