Friday, January 2, 2009

2009

Well here we go with a new year!! Its pretty exciting to be closer to our kidlet. We have come along way in the last year to be where we are today. I am so realived to be finished with the home study and approval process!!!!! The waiting stinks - but we knew it would. Here's to 2009 and all the surprises it will bring.
We had a great New Years Eve. We had an amazing dinner at one of my favorite places!! Its a tradition to go there every New Years Eve. The food was great!!! I have a cold though and was sniffling and sneezing through all 4 courses so i don't think i tasted it to its full potential. A good time was had by all and we rang in the new year by watching the 'ball' drop in NYC. I love Dick Clark but i really think its time for him to retire...
To do some catching up...
Mike and i did manage to get out after boxing day. We did a little shopping - and then did dinner and a movie. It was a nice night. The most fun part though was the shopping :) We ordered a crib for baby!!!!!!!!!!!!! The store was having a no tax event so we decided to bite the bullet. This kid already has better stuff than we have!! I hear this is just the begining!! We bought the crib that eventually changes into a double bed, a dresser/change table and then the mattress and all that jazz. Its black ('weathered ebony' to be exact) and I love it!!!! If I was more computer savy i would post pictures of it - but alas it would take me forever to figure it out and so we will wait till its home and assembled to show you all what it looks like. So, its been ordered and will arrive in 8-10 weeks - we need to get moving on that room and get it finished. Wow - what a difference it will make to walk by that room and not see it full of ladders and paint cans! This is realism setting in. I am really looking forward to making that room more inhabitable!!!
Back to Christmas for a minute- i got some great books that were on my list. "I am Chocolate, You're Vanilla" is a great book (so far) on raising black children in a white world. I also got my own copy of 'There is no me without you". The first time i read it - it was a copy from the library. This is my own copy that i hope to lend out to friends and family so that they can get a feel for Ethiopia and the AIDS crisis and orphans. Its an amazing book and so current. if you havent read it yet - get in line and you can borrow my copy!! I also got Mike "Bless Ethiopia" which is a beautiful photo/coffee table book. It has amazing photos and some good info in there as well.
We also survived the 'great flood of 2008'. The flood had both ends of our street under water but we are high enough that we had not one drop in our basement. The whole town would have to be under water for that to happen. It was a bit of a three ring circus though with all of the flood 'tourists' out to see the spectical. Only in a small town!! We could have charged admission and made a killing!! I will have to post some photos later on.
I see this post is a bit disjointed - guess its a bit like my brain. Must get back to the couch for more cold meds and my fav blankey.
Happy New Year everyone!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Happy New Year Mannings! It's going to be a great one!

Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

Here is to magical moments in 2009.

Laura